Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blackheads and other imperfections

I love my husband, I really do.  But he is no Mr. Darcy.

Well, maybe I should say he is a Mr. Darcy.  Think back with me to that first dance, when Bingley tells Darcy he should dance with Elizabeth, and Darcy says:


"She is tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humour at present to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other men. You had better return to your partner and enjoy her smiles, for you are wasting your time with me."



For those who haven't read the book or seen the movie, this comes back to bite Darcy later.  But the quote sums up my husband pretty well.  Dave is always saying things that are somewhat offensive and yet humorous when he says them, because I know he does not mean to be offensive (or at least I hope).  There was the time he rated me on a scale from 1-10 and then proceeded to rate himself higher than me (in real life and on our wedding day).  And then there was the time he told me I looked really good, but he wasn't really sure why.

Last night was no exception to Dave's daring dialogue.  We were lying in bed reading as we normally do, and then Dave decided to point out a flaw on my nose.

D: What are those dots on your nose?
A: What? I have dots on my nose? (Rushes to look in the mirror only to discover he is speaking of my blackheads)
A: Umm, those are my blackheads
D: Eww, they are gross - can you get rid of them?
A: I could try, but I don't have the right stuff for it.  You know, you have blackheads too.
D: I do? That is disgusting.  But yours are just so, so distracting.  I can't keep my eyes off of them.


I guess I shouldn't be complaining.  At least I have a husband who 'can't keep his eyes off of me'. Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Perfect. This definitely has the making of a good blog. If you don't blog, I'm going to nag you until you do! :)

    PS: You're funny. Can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete